Sunday, November 29, 2015

Week 14: Science Fiction Parody and Satire

     This week in class we watched "The Stepford Wives". I loved it and definitely want to finish it outside of class. Honestly, I've been enjoying parodies of genres a lot more than I've been enjoying the actual genres lately. I think I've been doing so much art lately that my IQ has gone down a little bit to the point where I can only really understand humor and nothing else (just joking). In all honesty though, I love a quality funny movie.  And most people do; why else would so many song and movie parodies posted on youtube and other social media sites get so many views?
     The list of recommended reads this week was interesting to say the least. Some of the titles actually had me laughing out loud! As I began looking up some of the books on the list and having shocking images pop up on the screen of my laptop, I quickly realized I *probably* shouldn't be looking around this genre while in public, but they were interesting nonetheless. After ruling out "The Haunted Vagina" and "Satan Burger", I decided to settle on "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".
     I definitely did not get as far as I would have liked. I found Adams' humor hilarious and I want to continue reading (or listening to the radio drama version of it) over Christmas break. I also find it intriguing that if you dig deeper and look beneath all the jokes and irony, you'll find a complex social commentary by the author. Adams' can take humanity's problems and wrap them up in just a few seemingly humorous sentences, which occurs multiple times throughout the book. I can't wait to keep reading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment