Sunday, November 29, 2015

Week 11: Cyberpunk and Steam Punk

     To be honest, before this week I didn't know much about the actual literary/cinematic genre of steam punk. Of course, everybody knows the steam punk aesthetic; gears, clocks, Victorian style clothes. I had seen people dress like this, but I never knew what exactly it stemmed from. It was interesting to listen to the "cyberpunk/steam punk" genre described during class since I have never had any real exposure to it previously.
     I ended up watching "Tank Girl" over the weekend. It was quite an interesting film and I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Although I personally found Tank Girl rather annoying, I did appreciate her obsession with weaponry. My favorite scene has to be the part where she discovers the tank and seems to fall in love. Our heroine, as I discussed last post, isn't helpless like many of the female characters in older movies. She has a strong personality; she's brave, independent, and ready to kick some butt. She knows what she wants. She fights and isn't afraid to take on enemies and situations that most would find quite dangerous.
     It's always refreshing to see a strong female heroine rather than a damsel in distress simply placed in a novel or movie as eye candy. Though this film isn't necessarily what I imagined steam punk to look like (i.e. her outfit . . . she almost appears to be more on the punk side of steam punk), it was still and interesting film to watch and a nice change from what I'm used to.


No comments:

Post a Comment